Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Music and Family




I have been very blessed to grow up around music. Living with my grandparents, Jean and J.M. Finch, the sounds of the Opry, Hee-Haw, and bluegrass music seemed to always be in the air. My Aunt Vickie played guitar/bass and sang a lot and helped teach me guitar. My mom, Barbara Hays, plays piano and I can remember vividly the old green upright piano that sat in my grandparent's living room in Browning, KY. I also remember quite well standing next to my mom as she played it, sneaking unwanted notes in the hymn she was playing. Now, I am still continually blessed as my stepdad, Jeff Hays, plays some mighty fine 3 finger style banjo and an assortment of instruments. He is very giving of this time and talents. His brother, Gary Hays, is an extremely talented individual and plays a mean "Hawaiin guitar"! Ha! Gary and Jeff Hays have been a bluegrass institution in this area performing as the The Hays Brothers for over 25 years. My stepbrother, Jesse "Mr. Active" Hays, plays bass and can play many genres. He also plays for the praise band at church. My stepsister, Molly Hays, has a great voice and plays many shows with Jeff and Jesse as "Southern Grace".


Now, I married a beautiful woman, Emily, and she is very talented. Plays piano, fiddle, mountain dulcimer, will start mandolin soon and can sing. I am so thankful that she has been supportive of my continuous banjo music in the house. I've enjoyed watching our girls Caroline and Maude Ellen get their talent from their mother and their enjoyment of singing. Caroline is now taking piano and likes to play the mountain dulcimer.


Our recent endeavor this past Saturday at the BOTBM was just a "good time". The name of our band "The GoodTime Chariles" was very fitting. The GoodTime Charlies are:


Jeff Hays - Banjo, Guitar, Vocals
Gary Hays - Vocals, Guitar, Fiddle, Lap Steel
Jesse "Mr. Active" Hays- Bass
Emily Forrester - Vocals
Cody Beck - Fiddle
Jim Forrester - Clawhamer Banjo, Guitar
Caroline Forrester - Vocals
Maude Ellen Forrester - Vocals


So, for a guy that likes music.... God has truly blessed me with a great family.

No comments:

Post a Comment